Every so often we get an email from a reader who asks why he or she can’t get a price that is similar to the price we have run in the newsletter. Although we try to run price reports that are attainable by our readers, there are a number of reasons why a vendor will not meet or beat our prices. Here are some of them:
- Vendors/dealers don’t feel any competitive pressure from another dealer. They feel that they are the only game in town. This may be because they are literally the only outlet in the market area, or they have a reputation far better than that of other dealers.
- The machine you want is very popular and is selling well, so the dealer feels no particular pressure to offer a lower price.
- Each dealer is an independent businessperson and is free to set his or her own prices. They are free to refuse to go below a certain pricing level. At that point you need to check with other dealers (if there are others in your area) or perhaps consider other manufacturers’ offerings.
- The dealer may not be offering the lowest machine price, but the total deal offered may actually be better. You need to take a close look at service pricing, service minimums, free clicks, manufacturer rebate offers, discounted financing options, lease rates, professional-services charges and other factors in order to determine the total cost of ownership.
- Prices can vary greatly during the year, depending on factors such as the end of the quarter or the end of the year. The best prices often come during the year-end push to put as much business as possible on the books.
- The situation with your individual sales rep can also make a difference. If the rep is one sale away from making President’s Club or winning a trip to Hawaii, he or she may push a little harder with the sales manager to get your deal to work.
Although we will do our best to help you get the best price possible, there are a number of reasons why it is sometimes difficult to attain the pricing level we publish in the newsletters. In most cases, though, we can help you obtain a better price than we have reported in the past.